Happy Birthday to Claude Monet! Monet was born on this date in 1840, and had a long, prolific career until his death in 1926. Did you know the Allen Memorial Art Museum owns two paintings by this founder of Impressionism?
His painting, The Garden of the Princess (Louvre) dates to 1867, shortly before the exhibitions that brought prominence to the Impressionist movement. Wisteria is from the end of his life, around 1919-1920, and shows the much looser, almost abstract, brushwork that characterized this stage of his career. As such, the works make fantastic bookends for thinking about Monet’s body of work.
Both paintings are currently on display at the AMAM - but Wisteria will be on loan during the spring semester, so if you haven’t visited the museum yet, now’s the time!
25 Notes/ Hide
- rakerman-reblog reblogged this from nybg
- coffeewithclarence reblogged this from amamblog
- popeyeschicken reblogged this from amamblog
- starry-dreamer reblogged this from nybg
- starry-dreamer likes this
- thisothergirl likes this
- oberlin-college reblogged this from amamblog
- gingerpeanutdanitime likes this
- jacquithelostgirl reblogged this from thisisbridge
- lostandfoundthoughts reblogged this from nybg
- leavelikeaghost reblogged this from nybg
- sketchbookmonsters likes this
- nybg reblogged this from amamblog and added:
- ewcn likes this
- oberlin-college likes this
- thisisbridge reblogged this from amamblog
- tumblropenarts likes this
- vanfullersublime likes this
- amamblog posted this